Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Women in My Life


This post is dedicated to two people in the Nottinghamshire area. The first is my little sister Laura, who will be 21 tomorrow. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DARLING. Your card and prezzy will be a little late, but at least it won't be as bad as my poor Dad, who has already been waiting over a week for his birthday present. (I'm so sorry Dad. I promise I'll get it off tomorrow. Just been a bit busy)

(Laura on her 21st Birthday. Who Farted?)

The second lady I want to say hello to is Mrs Julie Banks, who like many of you have become gripped by tales of our adventures, but unlike the rest of you is mother to Paul, a fellow friend & BUNAC'er. Why not drop either Ian or me a comment. We'd love to hear from you.

Last bit of admin. Apologies of all readers but especially my Mum who has pointed out in great detail all my spelling and grammatical mistakes made throughout my postings. My defense is that the spell checker is crap on blogger, I can't spell and I get charged by the MINUTE to use this. So ner!

OK sports fans, what a week it has been. Last weekend a few friends and I went to the aquarium and had a great time. It's well worth a visit if your in town. For picks and a more detailed analysis, go to Ians' blog, as he has all the good pictures too.

The big news of the week is that I have been working. I got a temp job at Vancouver Coastal Health. I have been re-organising all their filling system (for those of you whom I used to work with and know my "it's all up here" filling system, I am a changed man).

The people are very nice and have asked me to stay until Tuesday. After that, who knows. One guy called Dave just came up to me, introduced himself to me and then invited me out for drinks with his sister and friends the next night. How friendly is that! I accepted and took Ian, Gavin and Paul with me for moral support. We had a lovely time. It's nice to finally get out and meet some real live Canadians.

In other news. Tuesday has been re-named "Unexpected Tuesday". Simon, while working in the bowling alley spotted and old boy with a torn jumper, baseball cap and a dodgey Canadian accent. It turned out to be none other tan Patrick Stewart of Star Trek fame. Once Simon plucked up the courage to ask him if he was Capt Jean-Luke Piccard, he threw of his cap and announced in his thick Shakespearian brogue that "You have found me out". They chatted for a bit and he came across as a thoroughly nice chap. See Simons blog for details.

Tuesday became even more bizarre when I got back from work to be greeted by all the newNACK'ers. Two of which I was at school with. What a strange small world it is.

This weekend has been good fun. Ian and me have to leave the hostel for at least 1 night as we can only stay 21 consecutive days. We decided to go on a little holiday to Jericho Beach. We had heard that there was a very nice little hostel there.

Ian and I, packed up our sacks and being very mean, decided to walk the 8 or so miles to the hostel. When we got there, we thought the hostel and it looked very nice. Problem was we couldn't find the entrance. We found it in the end, next to a big sign that said "Closed for the winter" Bugger!

We decided to treat ourselves to the luxury of a bus ride back to town. We checked in to the other hostel in central Vancouver, just above The Royal pub. The music vibrated my bunk until just after 3am when all was quiet. Not for long though, as a new bloke walked in the dorm and was ceremoniously sick on the floor. Charming!

We're back in our old hostel again tonight. It's a former Nunary and the atmosphere is a suitable more restrained. Can't wait until we move into our flat. A week on Tuesday. Hurrah.

Right, I had better get on as I have to do a spell check and then phone Dad to tell him why he has yet to receive his birthday card and present. What A crap son I can be.

Love to all, and drop us a comment if you have the chance.

Bully xx

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done with your job Bully.
So the views from the window of your building are a little different to Stratford then i take it!! Hatch

Anonymous said...

I like ti you go 6000 miles and bump into two people that you probably spent the last 5 years trying to avoid in a 3 mile radius!

Bully said...

Cheers Hatch! The lairy 80's piano tie was the clincher. Views are amazing, especially when it stops raining. We're hoping it will happen some time in the next 49 weeks (Actually brilliant sunshine today)

Hannah: Yep, although, because they are younger than me they treat me with a strange reverance.

I like it!

Lewis said...

And so they should!

Glad to hear you're settling in alright in Canadia - my heart goes out to your current hostel situation. May you enjoy a happy, apartment-filled future.

Bully said...

Thanks Lewis.

I want to live in my guitar case. It's very fury!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for my birthday message, im keeping myself updated on your life with Mum's snippits and ive organised Dad so that hopefully he will be able to email you! Im glad you have a job, im working hard! Love you, Laura xxx