Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Father, Son and the Holy Pope.

Father and Son. Paul and I

I have a confession to make. For the schadenfreude I am about to relieve myself of, may Ian have mercy. The story goes something like this. When we met up for our weekly darts night a couple of weeks ago, he greeted me with the sad news that he had split up from his girlfriend. I hit my head against the wooden panelling of the pub in shock. I know how keen he had been on this young lady. I really felt for my friend.

However, the shock subsided and was replaced with a rather warm feeling of solidarity. You see both Paul and myself had become single a few months before. We have played a lot more golf together as a result. Paul can always be relied upon in a dark hour to hit some balls or play darts with. However, I felt there was one man missing. The warm feeling was knowing that "we've got him back, the Holy Trinity is reunited". Only until the next one comes along of course, but that will do me. We can split cabs now, stay out late and generally make merry at weekends. Bloody selfish I know, but what the hell, I didn't split 'em up, so I intend to take full advantage.

Two words came from Ian that sing like a choir of Angels in my ear. "Gentleman's retreat!" A weekend in the Brecon Beacons with some of the old Canada crew and a few hand picked special guests. Seven in all. All boys. Not loud, shouty, aggressive boys. People whom I know well, shared a lot with, respect and who are bloody funny. I have not laughed so much on a weekend for a long time.


Intrepid explorers.

Plus when boys get together, we get adventurous and a little bit silly. As a result our waterfall walk gave us both stunning scenery, a magical insight into the inside of a waterfall and double pneumonia. But we didn't care. Got back to the hostel, got showered and got a curry! No complaining, just jokes that next year we should do a city break as we marched soaking wet back to the car park.

Ian and Paul.

It just seemed as if all the moon and the starts had aligned themselves for a weekend of good clean wholesome fun. One that took my mind right off my own petty worries which I needed shaking from and returned me healthy, happy and contented. Now don't get me wrong. I love spending time with women, very much so. Especially on the sofa with a bottle of red and a good rom-com. I hope those days are not too far off again. But I also know that some of the group are already pairing off and settling down. Sometime soon, we won't all be able to saunter of to the mountains at the drop of a hat. Myself included. I'm a teacher! So if this was a last big hurrah together, than thanks for the memories boys. You were there when I needed you.



1 comment:

paulxbanks said...

Never leave me again