Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A note for my 18 year old self.

With thousands of students about to fly the nest and away to University I wondered, if i could go back in time, what advice I would give to my younger self to help me through that most daunting of transitions. I did this professionally in my last school for a group of sixth formers, but for myself, what home truths would I share?

  • Mum will cry when she drops you off. Be prepared because crying is contagious
  • Don't worry so much. You will be good at this.
  • Yes, everyone else seems to be having sex. Get over it.
  • You leave uni two stone heavier than when you arrived. Learn that your eyes are bigger than your belly.
  • Don't start smoking. It's antisocial, horrible and it's a bugger to quit, which you WILL do!
  • Never ever in your Greek History seminars call out "it's all Greek to me" when you don't understand something. Academics are not known for their sense of humour.
  • If you decide to fall in love, go for it. Just remember never to alienate your friends, as they're the people who will help you pick up the pieces again when it all goes belly up!
  • Always keep a little bit of yourself private. You'll need it. Probably in your second year to fall back on when times are tough.
  • Never use the condoms the University gives you. There is a reason they are free.
  • Don't compare yourself to other people. It's impossible for a start and you never know how messed up they are.
  • How people perceive you and how you perceive yourself are often two very different images.
  • If a woman gives you nice big hints that she likes you, don't freeze and be all prudish because you're a coward. No man ever went to the grave saying he wished he'd snogged less women.
  • Try as many sports as you can. Especially skiing, become Club Captain and win club of the year at the AU dinner. Because I bloody well enjoyed that moment.
  • Be yourself, choose you're own path and walk tall. People will respect you for it (As long as you don't go all weird then people will just talk about you behind your back)
  • Share everything but if you do be prepared to loose it all. It's replaceable anyway.
  • It doesn't matter that you don't really like clubbing. Some people are just like that.
  • Be brave. Try new things. You're young enough to bounce back. If I tried the same again, I may go crunch.
  • The secret to women, is a mystery. I don't know the answer and anyone who says they do, is a charlatan and lair and deserves your pity.

Have fun the class of 2010. Jealous? Well I have done it twice now, and it's about time I got a proper job. Good luck one and all x.

No comments: