Saturday, March 04, 2006

Ben Lee and the 'Night of a 1000 Riffs'

Bonjour.

I must warn you that because I will be in Texas and New Mexico next week, I probably won't be able to write any posts. I'll hopefully be too busy relaxing and enjoying myself. Nevertheless, I will be making full use of my camera so expect a full report once I return.

Wednesday night Ben Lee was back in town strutting his unique brand of antipodean stuff. Ian had raved about his performance last time. Trusting Ian's taste implicitly, I parted with 20 hard earned dollars and went to Richard on Richards.

For those Vancouverites who have yet to visit Richard I would seriously recommend going. It's a big arena, but seems to remain quite cozy. Very cool.

I quite liked Ben Lee and his blend of soft jovial songs. I did find him a little same-y towards the end, but I was pleased that Ian had bought his CD he was flogging. Not only for the amusing comment left on the back cover from Ben himself, but for some of the rhythmic tunes that are still buzzing around my head.

Thursday night was a bit of a treat of me. Robert James works with Laura at the party Bizarre, but is also a professional musician. He's been with a top 40 band for the last 8 years and is now working on some solo projects. I have put a link to his website under my music section.

Being a kind chap, he invited Laura and me around for a jam and play on his fab guitars. I have never really jammed before, and I really enjoyed it. I felt I learned quite a bit too. Below, in reverse order are us on 'The Night of a 1000 Riffs'.

Our host on a miniature Taylor
The Uber one on his signature frontman hybrid
Me, showing the professionals how it's done.
Me looking strangely over weight (don't panic Mum) on an Ovation electro acoustic.
Laura looking cute in my fleece (I'm never going to get that back) after playing 'The First Cut is the Deepest'.
Robert, picking away to one of his own tunes. What a cool flat!
Me making sweet music with a classic 1976 (I think) Washburn.

What was even cooler is that Robert asked if I played many cafe's or bars. I'm sure he was just being nice, but I felt I was playing ok. I felt great afterwards. I'm like a 10 year old with a new toy.

I also got to play a mandolin for the first time, and the banjo. I have picked up a banjo before, but didn't really have a clue how to play it. I still don't but at least I now knew that this one was tuned to an open G!!! I think, I'm going to have to go elecrtic soon.

Thanks for indulging me with my hobby.

So, that it folks for a bit. I'm off to meet the Colonel and other members of the Zuber family and friends in New Mexico next week. I'll post a full report when I get back.
Until then,
Andy

2 comments:

Insert Name Here said...

Sweet pictures! I popped in here to say hi because I noticed we both like the book "The Gun Seller"... so I thought I'd say, 'hello fellow reader!' Have a great week!

Bully said...

Cheers, I had a great week thanks.

Good book! Have youread any of Stephen Fry's (ex Cambridge comedy partner, before House fame) books?

They are meant to be fantastic!